It was long since we made this at home. My husband introduced me to this easy, quick; healthy and tasty italian dish, or well, an entry. But we make them for supper and they fit perfectly.
Just to think about the combination of warm crunchy bread, tomatoes, mozzarella, basil and spiced olive oil, makes me droll and makes me want to eat it everyday. And why not? it is cheap, easy and quick to make, and delici...no.. YUUUMMMILICIOUS!
(for 3 servings, around 12 to 15 toasts)
- 5 or 6 Tomatoes (better if Roma Tomatoes)
- 3 balls of Mozzarella (around 600 gr / 21 oz)
- 12 to 14 whole wheat Toast bread
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil for each toast, that makes 12 to 14 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Handfull of fresh Basil leaves, washed, dried and chopped (leave medium to big slices)
- Salt, pepper, garlic, ginger, herbs of your preference tiny chopped.
Pre-heat your oven at 220°C / 428°F. Wash and dry the tomatoes, slice them or chop them (as you wish), reserve. Chop the Mozzarella cheese, reserve. Wash the fresh Basil leaves and dry them with a clean cloth, reserve. In a small bowl, season the olive oil with the spices to your taste, reserve.
In a plate, or in your clean working area, lay the toasts flat and spread 1/2 Tbsp of the olive oil on it. Cover with tomato slices or dices.
Add the mozzarella then the basil leaves, and finish with 1/2 Tbsp olive oil spread above everything. Continue with the rest of the toasts.
Cover your baking tray with a non-stick backing paper (you will need 2 or make 2 rounds of baking/toasting). Lay the toasts side by side until covered completely.
Bake/toast for around 20 minutes, until the bread is crunchy on the borders and the mozzarella cheese melts above the tomatoes.
Serve and enjoy!