Saturday, April 23, 2011

Featured CABTeam Member - SewArtsy

Amy from SewArtsy has a fun shop which features so many creative bags!  Her bags are embellished with ribbons, buttons, appliques and even zippers.  Amy also sells adorable fabric rings in addition to her bags.

Here is a bit more about Amy in her own words:



 First, tell us a little about yourself and what you do other than making bags: 
Hi! I'm Amy from SewArtsy. I'm a wife, and mom of three incredible kids. My sewing business is definitely a welcome bit of peace in the busyness of my life. I like to hang with my girlfriends, and enjoy teaching Sunday school for 2 year olds with my hubby. I'd love to say I'm an avid reader of classic literature, but more than likely you'll find me reading through whatever my 2nd grader has brought home from the library.

 
How long have you been making bags?
I've been officially making bags since the fall of 2010 when my girlfriends asked me to host a home show where they could sift through my fabrics and place orders for custom tote bags. Since then I've refined my skills and my personal style to come up with a line of bags and fashion accessories that are cute, fun and artsy.



What is your favorite bag and what are your favorite materials to work with?
I love to take rich solids and embellish them with wonderful, bold prints in interesting appliques, and with buttons, crystals and decorative stitching.


 

Do you have any advice for other bag makers (about making bags or selling them)?

I love that Etsy allows you the freedom to work at your own pace, and that's the best piece of advice I can impart to other bag makers. Make what you love, and work when you can. I've learned over the past couple of years that nothing will make you unhappier doing what you love than letting it get you stressed out! I've found that as my babies and toddlers have become full fledged kids that go to elementary and preschool I needed to pare down my involvement in my business because they require more of my time and energy. That was not something I had expected! So now I work when I can, and have cut back on my custom orders, but my Etsy shop is still there, and still viable. And as I regain more time for myself, I will be able to put that time back into my business. I look forward to that time, but am remembering to be happy and grateful in the stage in which I find myself today!

You can check out Amy's shop here:

Also, find her on Facebook and Twitter, or check out her blog and her website.


The featured member post will appear on the CABTeam Blog the third Saturday of each month.  If you would like to be a featured CABTeam member, send me a convo.