Saturday, September 25, 2010

New bag making book: patterns and techniques

Lisa from Uhandbag in the UK has a deserved reputation for really clear tutorials with excellent, easy-to-follow and easy-to-adapt instructions for bag makers of all skill levels. In fact, her lining zip pocket tutorial was a really eye opener for me when I started bag making.

Lisa has been very busy lately and has just taken the wraps off her first book: The Bag Making Bible. If it follows the great precedent of her existing tutorials, it is sure to be a "must-have" for your sewing reference library. Maybe something to whisper in Santa's ear for the holiday season?


My bag making book is written more with a focus on bag making techniques.  Before I sat down and did any writing I looked through as many of the other bag making books that I could get my mitts on. On reading them I noticed that none of these books concentrated on how to make the various parts of a bag. They were more likely to be 'how to make 20-30 bag designs'.  I wanted to do something completely different to the other bag books so I wrote about how to construct the different parts of a bag; like how to do/how to understand linings, pockets, handles, structure, piping, interfacing and stuff like that.

Happy stitching!
Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

SewArtsy said...

I love reading Lisa's blog - she's such a great teacher, and seems like a sweet lady!

Kirschbits said...

Oh I want to grab in my hands this book so much! i follow Lisa's blog since I -precisely- found the tutorial for sewing zippers for the inside pocket!.. hehe.. I love her blog, always full of ideas and tips! I got inspired for this bag: http://bit.ly/clDR8B by one of her bags, before she published the pattern. I developed the pattern for myself, based on the bag she showed as a sneak peak hehe. :D